Mildred (Millie) T. Sparks — January 2011
Associate Professor for the School of Developmental Education & Associate Director of the Faculty Teaching and Learning Center
Ms Sparks (Millie) was born in Montgomery, Alabama where she obtained her early academic education. During that time, she received a broader education of the Civil Rights Movement by her participation in the Alabama Bus Boycott.
Millie earned a Bachelor of Science degree at Alabama State University, Montgomery, Alabama; Masters of Science Degree at Pepperdine University, California; matriculated in the Doctoral Program-University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming; Contract Management Certification from University of Phoenix; Post graduate studies at Claremont College, California State-San Bernardino; Cal State-Santa Barbara, California; Boston College (Outreach), Boston, Massachusetts.
Millie has been an educator, in Alabama, Ohio, Louisiana, Oklahoma, California and Utah. Millie was appointed as full-time faculty to Salt Lake Community College August 2003, Director –State Office of Black Affairs 1997-2000, Prior to assuming that position she was a Contract Administrator for Alliant TechSystems (formerly Hercules Aerospace Company). Millie’s education, management and community relations skills continue to provide her growth and success within the State of Utah.
Millie was married to Air Force Lieutenant Colonel John H. Sparks (deceased) and have three (3) adult daughters, two graduates of UCLA and the youngest daughter, Regina, graduated from her mom’s alma mater (Alabama State University) as an honor student in Biology (presently working at ARUP, Research Park).
Millie enjoys reading, writing, gardening and her adventures when walking. Ms Sparks is committed to the enhancement of the education of youth and adults; and the inherent talents, skills and abilities they possess. Much of her work continues to be in education of the adult learner.
Millie has been a presenter at education workshops, community events and program development across the United States. She and her husband, John (deceased) have been facilitators for Marriage and Family workshop(s). Millie has been the West Coast Rep/Presenter for Dr. Marcia Heiman’s “Learning to Learn” theory researched at Boston College.
Millie is presently an Associate Professor in the School of Developmental Education and the Associate Director of Faculty Teaching and Learning Center at Salt Lake Community C0llege (South City Campus) in Salt Lake City, Utah.
When asked about mentors, Millie said, “I have had many mentors throughout my life, and have experienced and learned from each of them in elementary, high school, college, Aerospace Company, Utah State Government and Utah Higher Education. Each individual has provided me with career guidance, but most of all, a belief that I could achieve when I did not believe in myself.”
WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO ME AS AN EDUCATOR?
- Lifelong Learning
IDENTITY — WHO I AM
- Mentors: Parents, Bishop Niederauer, and Governor Walker
INTEGRITY IN TEACHING
- Strict moral/ethical codes
- Demystify the environment (safe) – preconceived notions
- Respect at all times
MORE ABOUT MILLIE:
BOARDS /ORGANIZATIONS/COMMITTEES (Community/Campus)
- Utah State Board of Aging and Adult Services
- Salt Lake County AmeriCorp-Legacy Program (Volunteer)
- SLCC Presidents’ Diversity Council
- SLCC Presidents Inaugural Committee
- SLCC Policy on Policy Committee
- SLCC Strategic Planning Committee
- SLCC Grant/Proposal Review Committee
- SLCC General Education Committee (Diversity Committee)
- Salt Lake Council of Women
- Reading/Learning Enhancement Committee
- Catholic Diocese Women League
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority (Service Organization)
- African American Catholic of Utah
- Active Learning Group
- Teaching Circle
- Faculty Association
- National Association for Developmental Education (NADE/SWADE)
- College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA)
- NASPA (Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education)
- ASCD (American Association of Curriculum Development)
- Faculty Teaching and Learning Associate Director (FTLC) – South City – Fall 2006 – present
- Faculty Convention Workshops 2004, 2005, 2008, 2008, and 2009
- Wall of Oppression March 2005
- NASPA University of Nevada Las Vegas December 2005
- Diversity Panel/Workshops (FTLC) Spring 2005 and Fall 2006)
- President’s Council Best Practices February 2008
- SLCC Staff S Supervisor Workshops Spring 2006, Fall 2006
UPDATED COMMITTEE / COLLEGE / COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION 2008/2011
- Policy on Policy
- Convocation Committee
- Student Access and Success
- General Education
- Reading Discipline
- “Let Your Life Speak” – Retreat Co-facilitator
- Hiring Committee – Sociology/Vice-Provost/Innovation & Professional Development Director/ Administrative Asst (Faculty Senate, FTLC, Curriculum)
- President Leadership Institute Presenter
- President Council Presenter
- State Board of Aging and Adult Services Co-Chair/Chair
- Teaching Circle
- FTLC Associate Director – South City
- South City FTLC GROUP
- Planning Scheduling Committee SOUTH CITY
- North Region Board
- Quality Higher Education Council